Science Center Viminacium is located near Kostolac, 95 km far from Belgrade. Known for its exceptional cultural and historic value as a site of international importance under the protection of UNESCO. It consists of the scientific research center, an archaeological site of the Roman city together with the legionary camp from the first century AD and the paleontological park. It contains authentic buildings of ancient basilica and a necropolis, a Roman amphitheater, aqueduct near 10km long and numerous other buildings from the ancient period. Science Center “Viminacium” is internationally known for its extremely rare recently found mammoth remains from the prehistoric period. The area where the camp is placed is an open book of geology, archeology, culture, art and history of the area.
Science Camp Viminacium 2015 is organized for children aged 7 to 12 years, in six three-day terms (Saturday-Monday). Twenty children will attend the camp during one term. Departure is on Saturday at 8 am from Belgrade and the return is on Monday starting at 5 pm from Viminacium.
Dates of the camp are:
- 27 – 29 June 2015
- 4 – 6 July 2015
- 11 – 13 July 2015
- 22 – 24 August 2015
- 29 – 31 August 2015
Science Camp is organized by Archaeological Institute of SASA, Mathematical institute, the Institute for Nature Protection, the Centre for New Technologies and the Centre for Science and Innovation.
Program of the Science Camp will bring different scientific fields closer to the children (archeology, chemistry, biology, paleontology, physics, astronomy, robotics, mathematics, forensics etc.) with the aim to stimulate their curiosity, creativity and critical thinking. In terms of content, interactive mode and staff, the camp is organized according to the rules of summer schools at the European level. All instructors have more than 10 years of experience working with children.
Through a variety of programs and methods (interactive scientific workshops and experiments, archaeological excavations, orientation in nature, a visit to the surface mine “Drmno”, meeting with our prominent researchers among which are the winners of the largest European research projects), children will have the opportunity to:
- isolate their own DNA,
- find “buried treasure” using the shadows,
- learn how to, with wild edible plants, do not stay hungry in nature,
- check the laws of physics using an egg,
- use their knowledge of biology to detect thieves,
- in the Roman amphitheater decipher which animals (except camels and lions) were there in ancient times,
- determine what is common to nail, red blood cell and cell phone,
- find out how famous scientists discovered their findings,
- find out what’s behind optical illusions,
- control the robots with the support of renowned scientists from the Robotics department of the Faculty of Electrical Engineering,
- digitize objects that surround them,
- become familiar with baths, entertainment and food from the Roman era,
- meet with mammoth Vika and her paleolithic friends,
- to orientate by the stars,
- and much more…
The children and guests of the camp are accommodated at a newly built complex Domvs Scientarivm Viminacivm, within the complex of the Science Center.
Cost of participation
The cost of participation in the Science Camp “Viminacium” includes travel costs (Belgrade-Viminacium-Belgrade), food, accommodation, scientific workshops and related activities, entrance to all sites and materials for scientific experiments.
For registration of children for Science Camp “Viminacium”, please download the form, fill it in and send to the email address email@example.com:
Upon receipt of the completed form, parents or guardians will receive a confirmation of acceptance by the organizer, as well as text of the agreement for the child’s stay in the camp and details for payment.
For more information please contact firstname.lastname@example.org